I was trying to do some spur-of-the-moment meal-planning at the supermarket this past weekend when a tiny light bulb went on in my head. Suddenly I found myself picking up the ingredients I would need to finally make that long-awaited lasagna. Oh how I miss lasagna. I’ve been craving it for a while now, yet I’ve been avoiding it because it’s work to make your own sauce and I’ve been lazy.
However, buying the ingredients I need to make this saucy and cheesy dish kick-started my motivation and in that moment, I was in it to win it. I was going to go home, pull out all the ingredients, and immediately get to work on making a something my husband, my son, and I all love.
My mother gave me her recipe years ago and I used it as a base while I adding to it. This simple recipe can be made as a vegetarian dish, which is what my mother used to make, or you can add meat to it, which is what my carnivorous husband makes sure I create.
This lasagna was by far my best lasagna ever. It was so delicious, I just had to share.
You will need:
Ground meat (it can be any meat you’d like)
3-4 Cloves of Garlic (I love garlic. Use as many as you’d like), minced
2 small Cooking Onions, diced
2 156ml cans of Tomato Paste
2 398ml cans of Tomato Sauce
Bunch of Mushrooms, chopped finely
1 454g container of Ricotta Cheese
1 450g of Mozzarella Cheese
Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp of Kosher Salt
2 tsp of Oregano
1 tsp of Italian Spice
¼ tsp of Tabasco Sauce
4 tsps of Worcestershire Sauce
2 tbsps of Olive Oil
- Pre-heat oven depending on what kind of noodles you are using: if using no-cook noodles, follow the instructions on the box. If you are using cooked noodles, the preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Cook ground meat in a large pan
- Once meat is fully cooked, add some 1 tsp oregano and 2 tsps of Worcestershire sauce and stir
- Heat oil in large pot on medium heat
- Add onions and garlic and cook until soft
- Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir
- Add chopped mushrooms, salt, pepper, oregano, tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and Italian spice
- Stir and add cooked meat
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes
- If you are using noodles that need to be cooked before hand, cook the noodles. If not, wait for the sauce to finish cooking and then start putting your lasagna together
- Spread a layer of sauce on the bottom of the lasagna pan
- Place the cooked or non-cooked noodles down (3 usually fit the pan)
- Spread a layer of ricotta on the noodles
- Spread the fresh spinach on top of the ricotta and then sprinkle the grated mozzarella and parmesan onto the spinach
- Repeat all the steps 2 more times to make a three-tier lasagna.
- Bakes according to the instructions on the box, or for 30 minutes.
After taking the lasagna out of the oven, allow it to stand for 10 minutes.
I really hope you enjoy this as much as my family does! It really is a warm and delicious meal.